1 lacking companions or companionship; "he was alone when we met him"; "she is alone much of the time"; "the lone skier on the mountain"; "a lonely fisherman stood on a tuft of gravel"; "a lonely soul"; "a solitary traveler" [syn: alone(p), lone(a), lonely(a), solitary]
2 marked by dejection from being alone; "felt sad and lonely"; "the loneliest night of the week"; "lonesome when her husband is away"; "spent a lonesome hour in the bar" [syn: lonesome]
3 separated from or unfrequented by others; remote or secluded; "a lonely crossroads"; "a solitary retreat"; "a trail leading to an unfrequented lake" [syn: lonely(a), solitary, unfrequented]
4 enjoyed or performed alone; "a lonely existence"; "his lonely room"; "took a solitary walk"; "enjoyed her solitary dinner"; "solitary pursuits such as reading" [syn: lonely(a), solitary] [also: loneliest, lonelier]
of place: desolate
- Czech: osamělý
"Lonely" is also the name of five songs:
- "Lonely" is a 1988 song from Crimson Glory's album Transcendence.
- "Lonely" (Merril Bainbridge song) is a 1998 single by Merril Bainbridge's second album Between the Days.
- "Lonely" (Akon song) is a 2005 single by Senegalese singer Akon's album Trouble.
- "Lonely" (Shannon Noll song) is a 2006 single from Shannon Noll's second album Lift.
- "Lonely" (Sharon Sheeley song), a song performed by Eddie Cochran
- "Lonely" is a 2007 song from Bon Jovi's album Lost Highway.
abandoned, alienated, all alone, alone, aloof, apart, barren, companionless, deserted, desolate, detached, forsaken, friendless, homeless, in solitude, insular, isolated, kithless, lone, lonesome, one, outcast, reclusive, removed, retiring, rootless, secluded, separate, separated, single, single-handed, sole, solitary, solo, unabetted, unaccompanied, unaided, unassisted, unattended, unescorted, uninhabited, unseconded, unsocial, unsupported, withdrawn